Journal list menu
Manganese (Mn) is essential for plants but is toxic when taken up in excess. To maintain Mn homeostasis, the root Mn transporter natural resistance associated macrophage protein 1 (NRAMP1) cycles from the plasma membrane to endosomes upon phosphorylation. To identify the kinase involved, a split-luciferase screening was carried out between NRAMP1 and kinases of the CIPK family and identified CIPK23 as a partner of NRAMP1. The interaction was confirmed by split-mCitrine bimolecular fluorescence complementation and co-immunoprecipitation assays. In vitro phosphorylation assays pinpointed two CIPK23 target residues in NRAMP1, among which serine 20, important for endocytosis. Interestingly, Mn-induced internalization of NRAMP1 was unaffected by cipk23 mutation suggesting a potential redundancy between CIPK23 and other kinase(s). How CIPK23 could regulate NRAMP1 in response to Mn availability is discussed.
The peer review history for this article is available at https://www.webofscience.com/api/gateway/wos/peer-review/10.1002/1873-3468.14706.
All data supporting the findings of this study are available in the article and in the Supporting Information.
|feb214706-sup-0001-Supinfo.docxWord 2007 document , 260.4 KB||
Fig. S1. NRAMP1 and CIPKs split-LUC assay.
Fig. S2. Biological replicate of Fig 2.
Appendix S1. Materials and methods.
Please note: The publisher is not responsible for the content or functionality of any supporting information supplied by the authors. Any queries (other than missing content) should be directed to the corresponding author for the article.
- 1 and (eds.) (2012) Marschner's Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants. 3rd edn. Elsevier/Academic Press, London; Waltham, MA.
- 2 (2016) Soil acidification and the importance of liming agricultural soils with particular reference to the United Kingdom. Soil Use Manag 32, 390–399.
- 3, , , , , , , and (2019) Advances in the mechanisms of plant tolerance to manganese toxicity. Int J Mol Sci 20, 5096.
- 4 (1988) The physiology of manganese toxicity. In Manganese in Soils and Plants: Proceedings of the International Symposium on ‘Manganese in Soils and Plants’ Held at the Waite Agricultural Research Institute, the University of Adelaide, Glen Osmond, South Australia, August 22–26, 1988 as an Australian Bicentennial Event ( RD Graham, RJ Hannam and NC Uren, eds), pp. 175–188. Springer Netherlands, Dordrecht.
- 5, and (2001) Characterization of manganese toxicity in two species of annual medics. J Plant Nutr 24, 1947–1955.
- 6, , , and (2010) High-affinity manganese uptake by the metal transporter NRAMP1 is essential for Arabidopsis growth in low manganese conditions. Plant Cell 22, 904–917.
- 7, , , , , and (2002) IRT1, an Arabidopsis transporter essential for iron uptake from the soil and for plant growth. Plant Cell 14, 1223–1233.
- 8, , and (2016) The high-affinity metal transporters NRAMP1 and IRT1 team up to take up iron under sufficient metal provision. Sci Rep 6, 37222.
- 9, , , , , , , , and (2017) Phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate–binding protein AtPH1 controls the localization of the metal transporter NRAMP1 in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114, E3354–E3363.
- 10, , and (2018) Metal sensing by the IRT1 transporter-receptor orchestrates its own degradation and plant metal nutrition. Mol Cell 69, 953–964.e5.
- 11, , , and (2021) Manganese triggers phosphorylation-mediated endocytosis of the Arabidopsis metal transporter NRAMP1. Plant J 106, 1328–1337.
- 12, , , , and (2014) Polarization of IRON-REGULATED TRANSPORTER 1 (IRT1) to the plant-soil interface plays crucial role in metal homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111, 8293–8298.
- 13, , , , , , , , , et al. (2022) Ca2+−dependent phosphorylation of NRAMP1 by CPK21 and CPK23 facilitates manganese uptake and homeostasis in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 119, e2204574119.
- 14 and (2009) Plant calcineurin B-like proteins and their interacting protein kinases. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res 1793, 985–992.
- 15, , , , , , , and (2018) The Arabidopsis calcium-dependent protein kinases (CDPKs) and their roles in plant growth regulation and abiotic stress responses. Int J Mol Sci 19, 1900.
- 16, , , , , , , and (2018) Advances and current challenges in calcium signaling. New Phytol 218, 414–431.
- 17 and (2020) Calcium-regulated phosphorylation systems controlling uptake and balance of plant nutrients. Front Plant Sci 11, 44.
- 18, , and (2021) Emerging roles of the CBL-CIPK calcium signaling network as key regulatory hub in plant nutrition. J Plant Physiol 257, 153335.
- 19, and (2021) Ca2+–CBL–CIPK: a modulator system for efficient nutrient acquisition. Plant Cell Rep 40, 2111–2122.
- 20 and (2021) Regulation of root nutrient transporters by CIPK23: “one kinase to rule them all”. Plant Cell Physiol 62, 553–563.
- 21, , and (2012) Disruption of the Arabidopsis thaliana inward-rectifier K+ channel AKT1 improves plant responses to water stress. Plant Cell Physiol 53, 423–432.
- 22, , , , , , , , , et al. (2015) The CBL-interacting protein kinase CIPK23 regulates HAK5-mediated high-affinity K+ uptake in Arabidopsis roots. Plant Physiol 169, 2863–2873.
- 23, , , , , , , and (2007) Two calcineurin B-like calcium sensors, interacting with protein kinase CIPK23, regulate leaf transpiration and root potassium uptake in Arabidopsis. Plant J 52, 223–239.
- 24, , , , , and (2006) A protein kinase, interacting with two calcineurin B-like proteins, regulates K+ transporter AKT1 in Arabidopsis. Cell 125, 1347–1360.
- 25, , , , , and (2011) Quantitative analysis of dynamic protein–protein interactions in planta by a floated-leaf luciferase complementation imaging (FLuCI) assay using binary gateway vectors. Plant J 67, 542–553.
- 26, , , and (2006) A Ca(2)+ signaling pathway regulates a K(+) channel for low-K response in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103, 12625–12630.
- 27, , , , , , , and (2016) The Arabidopsis thaliana lectin receptor kinase LecRK-I.9 is required for full resistance to pseudomonas syringae and affects jasmonate signalling. Mol Plant Pathol 18, 937–948.
- 28, , , , , , , and (2023) CBL1/9–CIPK23–NRAMP1 axis regulates manganese toxicity. New Phytol 239, 660–672.